- Bolje je deliti nego prositi. # It’s better to give than receive. * It’s more blessed to give than receive.
- Čuvaj se Danajaca i kad ti darove donose. # Fear the Greeks, even when they bring gifts! * Beware of Greeks bearing gifts!
- Dvostruko daje ko brzo daje. # He gives twice who gives quickly.
- Ko mnogo deli, skoro će prositi. # He learned timely to beg that could not say ‘Nay’.
- Što sam potrošio to sam imao; što sam poklonio, to imam. # What we spent we had; what we gave we have; what we left we lost.
- Uzimao davao, sa mačkama spavao. # Give a thing a take a thing, to wear the devil’s gold ring.
- Batina je iz raja izašla. # The stick is the surest peacemaker. * Spare the rod and spoil the child.
- Deca, budale i pijani pravdu govore. # Children and fools speak the truth.
- Deca će ispaštati zbog grehova otaca. # The sins of the fathers are visited upon the children.
- Kome je Bog ujak, lako mu je biti svetac. # Who has God for his friend has the saints in his pocket. * He whose father is a judge, goes safe to his trial.
- Od dece ljudi bivaju. # Boys will be men.
- Delo govori. Jače je delo nego beseda. # Actions speak louder than words. * Deeds are fruits, words are but leaves.
- Koja kokoš mnogo kakoće, malo jaja nosi. # A crowing hen never lays eggs. * The greatest talkers are the least doers.
- Lakše je reći nego učiniti. # Easier said than done.
- Mnogo zbora, a nikakva stvora. # Flow of words is not always flow of wisdom.
DOBITAK – GUBITAK
- Jednom se smrklo, drugom svanulo. # One man’s loss is another man’s gain.
- Jedan se oteg’o, drugi se proteg’o. # The death of the wolves is the safety of the sheep.
- Što izgubiš na ćupriji, dobiješ na mostu. # What you lose on the swings, you gain on the roundabouts.
- Što jednoga goji, drugoga truje. # One man’s meat is another man’s poison.
- U svakom zlu ima i dobra. # Every cloud has a sliver lining.