- The bird is known by his note, the man by his words. # Čovek se po besedi poznaje.
- Score twice before you cut once. # Dvaput meri, jedanput seci.
- First think and then speak. * Look before you leap. Hear twice before you speak once. # Ispeci pa reci.
- Actions speak louder than words. # Jače je delo nego beseda.
- The tongue breaks bone, and herself has none. # Jezik može gore poseći nego mač.
- Speak of the devil (and he always appears). # Mi o vuku a vuk na vrata.
- His bark is worse than his bite. # Pas koji laje ne ujeda.
- The tongue of idle person is never still. # Trla baba lan da joj prođe dan.
- Fortune favours the bold. # Hrabre sreća prati.
- Adversity is the touchstone of virtue. * Calamity is the touchstone of a brave mind. * Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. # Na muci se poznaju junaci.
- No guts, no glory. # Slava pripada hrabrima.
- What the heart thinks, the tongue speaks. # Što mu je na srcu, to i na jeziku.
- Speech is the picture of the mind. # Što na umu, to na drumu.
- Seeing is believing. * Believe nothing of what you hear, and only half of what you see. # Što čuješ, ne veruj; što vidiš, to veruj.
- He that does ill once, will do it again. # Ko te jednom ćuši, drugi put će te kocem udariti.
- Birds once snared fear all bushes. # Koga je zmija ujela i guštera se boji.